Click here to visit Dakk's Instagram

Click here to visit Dakk's Instagram
Click here to visit Dakk's Instagram

Please Consider Donating!

Please Consider Donating!
Please Consider Donating! People like you keep this going

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fanboy Theory: I'm calling it. Wolverine is cable for the X-men: Days of future past

SchWHAT!? you say... and I say YES! (well possibly, I don't KNOW per se but I can damn sure speculate) I'm calling it: Wolverine is going to play cable in the upcoming X-men flick.

So let me preface this with an introduction paragraph, laying the scene, having seemingly nothing to do with the theory at hand but still...
So I saw 'The Wolverine' this morning with my buddy Jeff and although this article won't be about that movie I will say that I enjoyed the movie for what it was and without giving away ANY spoilers I will say that, if my theory holds true, all of my gripes with the movie and the X-men franchise in general (particularly and primarily Wolverine: Origins) will be rewritten and fixed with Bryan Singer's re-entry into a saga he help create and launch.




I would also like to add that this theory came spur of the moment, in a conversation with my bestfriend Nathan, and will likely contain some holes in which I'll have to revisit in the future to readjust my foundations. so if you see any inconsistencies please point them out but don't be douchy or nit-picky about it.

so without further ado here we go (read on to find out):

It's going to be hard to do this without flat-out spoiling certain elements so I'll be as colorful as possible with illustrating my point while trying to hide the spoils so if you don't get something you may be reading it wrong or I may be getting it across wrong.



+=








Let's start here: With WHAT we KNOW about X-men Days of Future past. For this I'll be consulting the wikipedia article found here for reference.



The cast features characters from the original trilogy of X-Men films and the prequel X-Men: First Class.
BooBoo Stewart has also been cast in an unknown role.[13] Warpath will also be appearing in the film.[20]

and here is a synopsis of the Comic Arc from Marvel:

The storyline alternates between present day, in which the X-Men fight Mystique's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and a future timeline caused by the X-Men's failure to prevent the Brotherhood from assassinating Senator Robert Kelly. In this future universe, Sentinels rule the United States, and mutants live in internment camps. The present-day X-Men are forewarned of the possible future by a future version of their teammate Kitty Pryde, whose mind traveled back in time and possessed her younger self to warn the X-Men. She succeeds in her mission and returns to the future, but despite her success, the future timeline still exists as an alternative timeline rather than as the actual future. (The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe: Alternate Universes 2005 gave the numerical designation of "Days of Future Past" Earth as Earth-811).

Aftermath 

"Days of Future Present" 
Centered around the appearance of an adult version of the powerful mutant Franklin Richards, it is a sequel to the popular "Days of Future Past" story arc from Uncanny X-Men #141-142 (January–February 1981). The storyline unites the Fantastic Four, X-Factor, the New Mutants, and the remnants of a then-disbanded X-Men against a common foe from a dystopian alternate future. It is also noteworthy for featuring the first appearance of Gambit,[1][2] and the first encounter between Jean Grey and her alternate future daughter Rachel Summers. It should also be noted that Cyclops' baby son Nathan Christopher Charles Summers and the full-grown mutant antihero Cable are depicted in this story as two separate individuals, although they are subsequently revealed to be one and the same.[3]



-Point #1: so we know, based on the comics (and the last sentence from the above paragraph), that there are two cables in the story. It is also to be noted that in the ultimate universe cable is, straight up, wolverine from the future. So already there we know that it's possible.

-Point #2: Going beyond comics and stories and cannon and lore lets visit the legality of the movies, the rights to the characters. You know the little pain-in-the-ass details that keep fanboys from awesome crossovers and sweet moments (Sorry spidey we won't be seeing you or Wolvy in the Avengers anytime soon) from happening, I'm talking those legal details. Anyways back to the matter-at-hand: WE know that 20th century fox has the rights to the X-men and mutants in general (minus the gray area negotiated about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch) and we also know that they have the rights to X-force (technically they COULD use Nathan Summers' Cable but I'll explain why they shouldn't) and plan to make an X-force movie. So if they DO make an X-force movie and they DO plan on it follow the 'Days of future past' film (and IF it spawns a days of future present film) it would be in their interest to let the natural continuity take its course and have cable be born in the future just like in the comics.
HERE's HOW IT'S DIFFERENT:
IF you've seen 'The Wolverine' then you know Logan gets some pretty significant changes to his character (if you don't know what I'm talking about think of his better known trademarks) and you also know that if you stayed after the credits that Logan may be the KEY linking the two timelines together. and If that is the case when he goes to the First Class timeline (circa 1960's + 10 years) he WILL be coming from the future thereby fulfilling the fanboy continuity (a stupid and disappointing continuity from what I hear. I don't know, haven't read the ultimates yet) all the while leaving CABLE's legacy as cable untouched.




-Speculation: It's also possible that if Wolverine WAS cable that I think he would have to die, for a couple reasons. The first reason being that, in the same logic as looper, if they set things right then Wolverine would be the only link to the fudged up timeline. Instead of him being from the future it becomes an alternate future which didn't happen so that is a paradox and Wolverine would HAVE to die. Whether it be by him going out like a bad ass or maybe by him saving the day and being erased from our timeline (or maybe even BOTH. He goes out like a bad ass and sets things right thereby retconning reality all MIB 3 style...which I had a problem with but still). Either way his death would also have to save either Scott, Gene or both (cause in the First Class timeline nothing has happened so they wouldn't be dead. just younger version of themselves walking altering their fated paths) cause that would give Scott a reason to name Cable....Cable (like a ode or momento).

-Point #3: When having the conversation that brought about this theory, it was pointed out why wolverine wouldn't just be wolverine and talk to himself and just have 2 wolverines (and this is also assuming he IS cable otherwise maybe there won't be 2 wolverines but based on the after credits of 'The Wolverine' he'd have to visit himself in the past at least, even if it isn't directly). There is also a very distinguishable difference between the two (based on the ending also in 'The Wolverine,'  think about what the silver samurai does...). and if I WAS Logan from the future than I'd give myself an alias like "Cable" or "The Doctor" in order to prevent my lineage from being exposed. If they killed wolverine or captured him than his future self would be prone to his own actions (like how in Looper you if you get cut in the past you immediately lose limbs in the present/future) so in order to prevent that he'd had to disguise himself and hide his past.

-Point #4: Are you saying to yourself "This doesn't make any damn sense" or "That's just stupid" or "I really hope that isn't the case, cause they would be F-ing dumb" well I won't disagree. I haven't read the ultimates, but I know of what happens because of my lessons in comic history by Nathan Renard (the one this conversation, and most awesome conversations spawn from). I'm not saying that I would agree with Wolverine as Cable either, I think it would be a tricky arc to cover. HOWEVER don't put it past fox... look at Wolverine Origins (the movie in general as a 'big picture', not all the cool little fanboy moments scattered throughout that blinded us until the movie ended) and look at some of the major downfalls of X-men 3 (opinions aside it was a pretty lackluster blockbuster. In part to Singer's departure in my opinion), look at Daredevil, look at Elektra, or even the Fantastic Four (Galactus cloud need I say more?), and I could go on (with a movie or two more). But my point to this point is WOULD YOU PUT IT PAST THEM? despite my personal theory and your personal opinions on the matter would you really put it past them screwing up more continuity? Again.... I would HOPE no, but this isn't about HOPE, or LOVE, or WHAT'S RIGHT, to the people paying for this production (creative departments and those passionate about the project aside) it's about THE BOTTOM LINE and if it makes dollars it don't gotta make sense (like cents but sense....get it..aww crap).

This image has NOTHING to do with anything I just find it amusing. Dinklage as Trask

 I'm not hoping to be right about all of this and I won't mind being wrong either. It was fun to speculate and theorize and I was feeling a little down in the dumps today so it's even better that creative juices and imagination brought be out of that. I just saw 'The Wolverine' this morning with Jeff and I saw the TRASK industries viral campaign (which for the hell of it is HERE thanks to superherohype) and I just love to speculate and this just CAME to me so I RAN with it and wrote all that I could. Unfortunately I'm out of steam (and points for that matter) so this is where I stop.
/END OF LINE



No comments:

Post a Comment