Click here to visit Dakk's Instagram

Click here to visit Dakk's Instagram
Click here to visit Dakk's Instagram

Please Consider Donating!

Please Consider Donating!
Please Consider Donating! People like you keep this going

Friday, July 26, 2013

Freaky Friday: Is Global warming a paradigm opinion, a sensational news story or a true and potential threat? You decide.....

It's Friday night, I just got off work and I'm all showered. I just picked up a bag of weed and had a nice bit of sirloin steak from Bd's Mongolian Grill of Canton, so what do I do? I sit down... I sit down and begin to catch up on world 'news' information and I came across a geekologie article (oh boy, what a surprise) about a controversial topic: The Polar Ice Caps.

Now I'm not going to spend time spelling out my opinion and soap boxing (although this is my blog and I can and I SHOULD), I will remain objective in a sense. The aforementioned article about the polar ice caps is here and the article that it compiled it's resources from is here(huffingtonpost's website). But I'm going to continue: The article is about a small lake forming in the polar Ice caps and they're screaming Global Warming. Again I'm no expert here. I've read what little I've cared to read, I've watch two documenatires both for and against Global Warming and I've listened to many a-speeches, 'findings', 'facts', and opinions as I can but again I'm no expert. I also believe that even the scientific community is split on the official stance for Global Warming BUT..... that's not what this is about. This is about presenting two stories and also exposing the dangers of biased, sensationalist and irresponsible journalism.

Now the geekologie article says this (and it's quoted from the huffingtonpost article so I just wanted to clarify that for plagarism purposes. It is intended to show their position on the subject matter)



"July is usually the warmest month in the area, but temperatures were 1 to 3 degrees Celsius above average this year. The shallow lake you see at the pole is made of meltwater sitting on top of a layer of ice, according to the observatory.

Arctic sea ice has become a noticeable victim of climate change. The area of ice cover expands and contracts every year with the change in seasons, but last summer's minimum extent was the lowest on record and this year's maximum winter coverage was the sixth-lowest since satellite observations began in the 1970s."

and then a youtube video is accompanied (I couldn't find it to embed it but do a search for "

North Pole time lapse Joshua Hansen

and you should find it. but ANYWAYS.... after reading that article I checked the comments section because topics like this often spark debates (Which I consider healthy. Science should be debated and debated and debated and possibly never agreed on. Because truths aren't always easy to convince and established truths should always be tested for their validity) and a few comments caught my eye in particular.

User JJToob brought up a very valid point considering the sketchy editing of the time lapse:

"A little bit different from the usual time lapse videos because this is just bits of video sped up and chopped up instead of a steady stream of images. Only thing about this is that the events might have happened backwards and you would not be able to tell because of the gaps between sped up clips. With a steady time lapse, at least in this case, you couldn't reverse it and have it look normal because there were times where you see water drops sliding down on the camera lense."
User DIETERD also had this to say:



"Not so unusual, here are some pics from the 50s and 60s showing clear water at the North Pole http://wattsupwiththat.com/200..."

and User Billy_Bob added:

"Temperatures have actually been below normal.
Green line normal, red line = 2013 in the arctic.
http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/mea...


SO here's my point: It just goes to show you how even sources I look to for insight and info can be misguided. I'm not taking a stance one way or another, but to present a bias to a likeminded audience will appear to be no bias at all... let that one sink in. Because thinking should always be challenged to become higher level thinking. Let us also not forget that in the 50's 60's and 70's scientist thought that were headed for a global cooling not a global warming (Don't believe me.... read here)

BOOM!

ICE MELTING (in the 50's...and refreezing and melting....hm....)  Photos!







No comments:

Post a Comment